Universal Credit - Universal Support

Chat Now
Chat online with a live operator from Fylde Council

Universal Credit – Universal Support

Universal Credit is a new benefit for working age people who are out of work or on a low income and is administered by the Department of Work and Pensions (DWP). It replaces six main working age benefits with a single monthly payment.

The 6 main working age benefits it replaces are:

  • Income Based Job Seekers Allowance
  • Income Related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Income Support
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Housing Benefit

Universal Credit will be paid directly into your bank account each month.

Any help you get with your rent will be included in your monthly Universal Credit payment which means that you will be responsible for paying your rent to your landlord.

Find out more information about Universal Credit.

Update on Universal Credit in Fylde
Do you live in postcode areas beginning with PR3 0 or PR4 0? Find out how you are affected here.

There will be no new claims to Universal Credit in all other Fylde postcode areas with effect from 31 December 2017. This means that customers will continue to claim Housing Benefit from 1st January 2018 until they are advised to claim Universal Credit from 5th December 2018.

Universal Support
Universal Credit is administered online and you will be expected to use the internet to search for jobs.

Fylde Council is committed to helping our residents gain access to services via the internet; we’re here to help.

Personal Budgeting Support
If you are struggling to manage your money, tell your Job Centre Work Coach. They can refer you to us for help in managing your finances and paying your bills. Or you can book an appointment to see a member of our team at www.fylde.gov.uk/myaccount, call us on 01253 658658 or send an email to universalcredit@fylde.gov.uk.

Personal Budgeting Support is a free service for Universal Customers who require budgeting support and help managing money.

During your appointment the advisor will:

  • Help you manage your bank account
  • Look at your payments to see where you can make savings
  • Do a benefit check to make sure you’re receiving all the help available
  • Help you manage your income and create a personal budget plan with you

Discretionary Housing Payments
If you claim housing costs through Universal Credit and need additional financial help with your rent or moving costs, we can apply for a Discretionary Housing Payment  http://www.fylde.gov.uk/resident/housing-benefit/discretionary-housing-payments/

Assisted Digital Support
If you need digital support to claim Universal Credit online or make changes to your Universal Credit Account, you can visit the Town Hall in St Annes to receive one-to-one support to access the internet.

We can also assist you in claiming Council Tax Reduction and other online transactions you may need to make including:

Access to the internet
Create an email address and manage your account
Complete on-line forms for services, benefits, jobs and housing.

Council tax
Universal Credit does not include help towards your Council tax. We can help you make a claim for Council Tax Reduction. http://www.fylde.gov.uk/resident/housing-benefit/council-tax-reduction/

Free school meals
If you are in receipt of Universal Credit you may be entitled to free school meals for your child/children.

For further information please contact Lancashire County Council on 0300 123 6701.