Coaching and Volunteering
- Chat Now
- Chat online with a live operator from Fylde Council
Are you interested in becoming a sports volunteer? Whatever your age or experience there’s a volunteering opportunity for you!
Across Lancashire, volunteers are providing an essential service to clubs and organisations to make sure that people are doing their best and getting the most out of sport. Volunteers can get involved with a huge range of roles such as coaching/leadership, officiating, administration, organising events, publicity, social and many more.
Register to Volunteer
do-it is the only national database of volunteering opportunities in the UK. If you register for a volunteering opportunity with us, this is one of the places it will be advertised. These opportunities can be accessed by anyone over 16, so have a look at what’s available in the local area.
Join In is the nation’s charity for local sports volunteering. Join In support the clubs and groups who need volunteers most and promote brilliant opportunities for people to lend a hand. If you have a particular skill you’d like to share – whether it’s coaching or accountancy – make sure you let the club know, and see if they could use your help. But there are plenty of opportunities to help in other ways, such as helping with the sandwiches, driving teams to away matches or helping to organise events.
Youth Sport Trust - Step into Sport
Step into Sport is a support programme for 14-19 year olds with the aim of engaging them in volunteering and leadership activities throughout their lives. The programme is being run by Sport England, Sports Leaders UK and the Youth Sport Trust, and Lancashire Sport Partnership is responsible for the programme on a local level.
- 50 voluntary hours: you will be given a Bronze Award from the Youth Sport Trust and you can access the following Minimum Operating Standard courses free of charge.; Safeguarding and Protecting Children, Equity in your Coaching, How to Coach Disabled People in Sport.
- 100 voluntary hours: You are eligible to receive a free T-shirt, claim any travel expenses and your Silver Award issued by the Youth Sport Trust.
- 200 voluntary hours: You will receive a free Hooded Sweatshirt, your Gold Award issued by Youth Sport Trust and funding towards a NGB Level 1 or 2 Course of your choice.
- Finally if you have completed 200 hours of volunteering within the school gates and 200 hours of volunteering in the community you will be issued with a Dame Kelly Holmes Double Gold Award for 200 hours.
V Programme - vInspired
V is the national programme for any person 16-25 years old who wishes to volunteer in some capacity. This programme is the replacement of Millennium Volunteers; therefore whether or not you have gained any previous volunteering experience, there are a number of opportunities and placements available to you. These include;
Short Term – taster/one off session
Part Time – 1-30 hours of volunteering per week. Example, regular placement in a sports club.
Full Time – up to 13 weeks of 30 hours of volunteering per week. Example, work experience in a Local Authority.
- You will receive a thank you certificate and a free T-shirt once you have registered and have started volunteering.
- 15 hours – Access Get Qualified (see NGB courses below)
- 50 hours - V50 Award (50 hours of community volunteering) and Free Hooded Sweatshirt
- 150 hours - V Impact Award (showing how volunteering has developed you as a person and any skills you have acquired)
The two schemes above are specifically aimed at young people, but for those with more life experience there is definitely a place for you! Do not hesitate to get in touch to discuss opportunities, you could even become a mentor for a young person involved.
Minimum Operating Standard Courses (MOS)
Minimum operating standard courses will help a volunteer gain more skills and expertise's in a number of different areas. For more details of what course are running in the area visit the Lancashire Sport website.
Get Qualified in Lancashire & Cumbria
If you are over 16, working/volunteering in sport or outdoor pursuits in Lancashire or Cumbria, you may qualify for up to £250 towards fees for coaching qualifications. Get Qualified funding can now contribute to more sports, more courses and accept more than one application per person! Visit the website for full details