Abandoned Vehicles

Chat Now
Chat online with a live operator from Fylde Council
Find out if a vehicle is taxed (external link)
Report an Untaxed Vehicle
Report an Abandoned Vehicle
Please login - or click report anonymously then select Environmental Protection

Abandoned Vehicles

The Council is responsible for the removal of vehicles that have been abandoned or dumped throughout the Borough.

A vehicle will not be classified/investigated as abandoned if it is simply:

• Not displaying a tax disk (no longer a legal requirement)
• Untaxed (this can be reported to the DVLA for enforcement)
• Parked on a public highway when it has a SORN - Statutory Off Road Notification (this can be reported to the DVLA for enforcement)
• Parked in an manner that causes an obstruction/nuisance (depending on the circumstances, Lancashire County Council as the highways authority or the Police may be able to investigate further)

You can report a vehicle for investigation as potentially abandoned if it has no clear owner (no tax/SORN etc) and is in poor condition (significant damage, flat tyres etc).
Abandoned (dumped) Vehicles

Abandoned (dumped) Vehicles

The removal of abandoned vehicles is a statutory function for Fylde Borough Council undertaken within the framework of the Refuse Disposal (Amenity) Act 1978. A vehicle is only classified as abandoned if the owner or keeper cannot be identified, or fails to respond to a legal notice.

Fylde Borough Council has the power to investigate reported abandoned vehicles, and if no one claims responsibility for the vehicle in the given statutory length of time, can employ a contractor to remove the vehicle for disposal. To remove and dispose of a vehicle of which the owner has been identified, and who has confirmed responsibility for the vehicle, would be regarded as theft of private property.

Untaxed Vehicles

The enforcement of vehicle licensing is carried out by the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA). If you wish to report a vehicle whose tax disc has run out please contact the DVLA on the link at the top of the page.